LINSENSUPPE REZEPT (Lentil Recipe)
Recipe & Photo: About.com German Food
How to Make LINSENSUPPE REZEPT (Lentil Recipe)
- Go through the lentils and discard any debris or shriveled seeds. Rinse, cover with water and soak for two hours.
- Drain the lentils, add fresh water to 1/4-inch above the lentils, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Mix 1 Tbsp. soft butter with 1 Tbsp. flour until it forms a paste and add it to the lentils. Stir the pot until the Beurre Manie has dissolved and the mixture starts to bubble. (Beurre Manie is like a roux, used to thicken.)
- Simmer for another 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft but not falling apart. Add the sugar and the salt and vinegar to taste.
- The lentils should taste sweet-sour. Serve with fried or pickled eggs.
- Note: German cooks prefer the unhulled type of lentils, which require soaking. If all you can find is the hulled variety, you will not need to presoak.