Lentils with sausage
How to Make Lentils with sausage
- In a soup pot (I used a 3 qt enameled cast iron french oven) brown sausage and add chopped onion and minced garlic while sausage is browning and cook until the onion is translucent and the sausage is completely browned.
- While the sausage is browning wash and drain lentils. Set aside.
- Add 7 cups water to browned sausage, onion, and garlic mixture. When the water is hot add the lentils into the pot.
- Add the old bay seasoning, chicken bouillon granules, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Bring the soup to boiling then reduce to a steady simmer. Simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils reach desired tenderness. Sometimes the lentils will be tender in 20-30 minutes and you may need to add another cup of water if the soup isn't to your desired consistency.
- A slice of cornbread is delicious with this soup. I use Aunt Jemima Buttermilk self-rising cornbread mix according to package directions. This can bake while the soup is cooking and will get done right about the same time as the lentil soup so it is perfect.