Lentil Soup or Salad Mix
In the meantime,I really want to post this as it is a great idea for food preparedness. I hope you will find it helpful and will also become part of the dry food mixes in your pantry either for emergency or gift giving ideas.
This combo can become a soup OR a salad!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2/3 c
- red lentils, divided
- 1 c
- green lentils, divided
- 1 Tbsp
- chicken bouillon powder
- 1/3 c
- white or brown rice
- 2 Tbsp
- each: bacon bits, dehydrated onion
- 500 ml mason jar & snap lid® closure
How to Make Lentil Soup or Salad Mix
- 1Pour bouillon into jar and top with half of the red lentils, to form the first layer. Top with half of the green lentils.
- 2Combine bacon bits and onion for the next layer.
- 3Top with rice, then the remaining red and green lentils.
- 4Apply lid and screw band tightly and attach Instruction tag.
- 5Cooking Instructions:
SOUP: Combine contents of jar with 4 jars of water (8 cups/2000 ml) and cook until lentils are soft; mash or purée, if desired.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve garnished with thin lemon slices and chopped green onion.
SALAD: Combine contents of jar with 3 jars of water (6 cups/1500 ml) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and boil gently until lentils are al dente. Drain well;
transfer to a bowl.
While warm, toss mixture with grated peel and juice of 1 lemon, olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. If desired, add chopped green onion and red pepper.