Lentil and Sausage Soup
Angela (Grammy) Derby
1/2 lbdry lentils
2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1small onion, chopped
1stalk celery, chopped
1 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 lbbulk italian sausage, mild or hot-your preference (or smoked ham)
1 (14oz.) can(s)diced tomatoes (optional)
2 cbeef or chicken broth (i like beef)
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Lentil and Sausage Soup
- Sort and rinse lentils.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil. Stir in onion, celery and garlic until tender.
- In a separate pan, brown sausage, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain. (If you can't find bulk, buy the links and cut off the casing. Then break apart in the frying pan.)
- Add lentils and remaining ingredients, including sausage. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender and soup gets thick, about 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally to check tenderness of lentils and thickness of broth.
- Add more hot water or broth (chicken or beef) if necessary. Serves 4-6