Ham, bacon, and bean soup
- slices bacon
- onions, diced
- carrots, chopped
- stalks celery, chopped
- cloves garlic, minced
- tbsp. olive oil
- cups water
- (15.5 oz) can great northern beans, drained
- (15.5 oz) can black beans, undrained
- (15 oz) can light red kidney beans, drained
- (16 oz) pinto beans, drained
- (6 oz) can tomato paste
- tsp. thyme
- tsp. cayenne pepper (can add more if you like)
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 1/2
- cups diced ham
- ham bone
How to Make Ham, bacon, and bean soup
- 1In a large pot, saute bacon until crisp. Remove bacon. (Break into small pieces when cool). Pour out fat leaving approximately 2 Tbsp. in bottom of pot. Add olive oil.
- 2Saute onions, celery, and carrots for 2 minutes, stirring well. Add garlic and heat 2 more minutes. Add water, beans, cayenne pepper, black pepper, tomato paste, and thyme. Stir well. Put ham bone in pot. Bring to boil and reduce heat to low. Cover. Simmer 1 1/2 hours. More water can be added if necessary, but I didn't need to.
- 3Discard ham bone. Remove 2 cups of soup and place in blender. Puree. Return to pot. This will thicken the soup. Stir in diced ham and bacon.
- 4Serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!