Ham and Navy Bean Soup
Can use Navy or any white bean, e.g., canneloni, etc. I haven't made it with canned beans but I've stretched it when I've had surprise last-minute guests by adding a couple cans of white beans! Shhhhh.
- 8 c
- Chicken Stock
- 1 lb
- Navy beans
- 8 to 12 oz
- Cubed ham (smoked or honey baked), leftovers are fine. Best if ham has a bone. Can use Ham Hock.
- 2 stalks
- celery, cut in half
- 2 large
- carrots, peeled cut in half
- 1 tsp
- herbes de provence
- 1/4 tsp
- pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp
- salt (or to taste)
- cayenne pepper or mexican pepper of choice
- cardamon, ground
- 1 to 2
- bay leaves, depending on size of leaf
- 1 medium
- (or medium large) yellow onion peeled
- 2 handfuls
- Close to finishing soup -- approximately peeled baby carrots
- Close to finishing soup -- approximately peeled sliced medium or chopped celery
- 1 to 2
- Peeled and medium diced Russet or Golden Yukon potato, Optional
- Fresh parsley (optional)
How to Make Ham and Navy Bean Soup
- 1Sort bad beans or small stones from beans. Rinse and soak beans overnight. (Or boil water, add beans and soak for two hours. Instructions for "quick soak" on Navy bean bag.)
- 2Drain water. Add chicken stock/broth, celery, carrot, onion, ham and hambone.
- 3Place all herbs and spices in a tea ball or cheese cloth and tie to close and add to soup mixture. Bring to boil and simmer. Can also put in slow cooker and place on low for 8 hours.
- 4Remove cooked onion, celery and carrot.
- 5Add fresh baby carrot, chopped celery and potato (if desired). Return to boil and reduce to medium low for 20 to 30 minutes or change to high on slow cooker for 2 hours.
- 6Dress with diced fresh parsley, if desired. Serve with cheese and crackers, hot rolls and/or salad, if desired. Freezes well.