Frijoles Colorados/Red Beans Cuban Style
- 24 oz
- red beans dried ( 2...12 oz packages)
- 8 c
- onion, chopped
- green pepper, chopped
- garlic cloves, smashed
- chorizo, spanish...sliced
- 1 c
- pumpkin(calabaza)...fresh and cut up into large chunks
- green plaintain, cut up into 4-6 pieces
- chunks of ham hocks or smoked turkey chunks
- 1/2 c
- olive oil
- 1/4 c
- bay leaves
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 can(s)
- tomato sauce
How to Make Frijoles Colorados/Red Beans Cuban Style
- 1Bring the water, beans and ham hocks OR smoked turkey to boil for at least 1 hour or until tender.
- 2In a skillet...saute in the olive oil ,onions, peppers, garlic,chorizo and tomato sauce. about 5 mins, then add to beans.
- 3add also the pumpkin ( calabaza) as well as the green plantain and cilantro...simmer another hour or till thickened and tender...stirring occasionally add salt and pepper to taste.