Country Ham & Bean Soup with Smoked Sausage
- 20 ounce bag dried mixed beans (i use 15 bean soup with seasoning packet)
- 2 qt
- envelopes ham flavoring (from a 1.41 ounce box)
- 1 c
- diced onion
- 2/3 c
- peeled and diced carrots
- 1 c
- peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 c
- leftover ham, cubed
- 1 lb
- smoked sausage, cut into thin slices
- bayleaves, broken in half
- 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- quick cooking barley
How to Make Country Ham & Bean Soup with Smoked Sausage
- 1Place dried beans in a LARGE pot and pick through to check for stones. Rinse beans, drain and add water to cover by at least 2 inches. Soak at least 8 hours or overnight.
- 2After soaking, drain beans, rinse, drain again and add 2 quarts water, flavoring packet (that comes with beans) and 2 envelopes of ham flavoring. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. (Note: you may have to add more water during this step to make sure beans are covered with liquid.)
- 3After simmering for 1 hour, add onion, carrot, potato, ham, sausage, bay leaves and 2 more envelopes ham flavoring to pot. Simmer an additional 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring often, until beans are soft and begin to break apart.
- 4Add chicken broth and quick cooking barley (and more ham flavoring if needed). Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until barley is cooked.
- 5Serve with salad and crusty bread.