★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 1/2 c
- dry cannellini beans
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin olive oil, and more for drizzling
- 2 c
- whole, chopped onions (about 2 cups)
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- long carrots, cut into halves long ways &chopped
- 1/2 c
- chopped fresh tomato
- 1/4 c
- fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 c
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp
- coarse salt
- freshly ground parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Cannellini Bean Soup
- 1Rinse the beans well & place in large pot. Cover the beans with 4 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, cover & turn off the heat. Allow to soak 1 hour.
- 2Place the olive oil, onions,& garlic in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat. When the garlic begins to sizzle after about 30 sec. add the carrots & celery, and continue to cook, stirring for about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, & parsley, continue to cook 3 minutes stirring.
- 3Add 6 cups of the soaked beans, cover with 10 cups of cold water & stir to combine. Bring to a boil reduce heat & simmer, partially covered, until the beans are tender, & creamy at least 1 1/2 hours up to 2 1/2 hours. Add water if necessary to achieve desired consistency, the soup should be thick. Add salt half way through the cooking time. Serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese, black pepper & a drizzle of olive oil.