Butter Bean, Leek and Bacon Soup
I hope you like it as much as we did.
- 8 oz
- dried butter beans
- 4 oz
- good quality smoky bacon
- 2 Tbsp
- good cooking oil - olive or canola
- dried bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 medium
- onion, finely chopped
- leek cleaned, trimmed and finely chopped
- celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic, whole peeled
- 1 1/2 pt
- water (equals 1 litre)
- 5 oz
- whole milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to your taste
- sprinkle freshly chopped parsley on finished soup.
How to Make Butter Bean, Leek and Bacon Soup
- 1Soak the beans overnight in cold water and drain before use.
- 6Heat the butter and the tablespoon of oil in another saucepan and add the onion, leek, celery. Stir well to coat everything in the butter/oil mix and cook over low heat about 10 minutes until they are soft. Transfer the vegetables into the first pan. Mix well together. Remove the bay leaf at this point.
- 7Add the clove of garlic, cover and simmer all for an additional 10 minutes, until the beans and vegetables are soft. Mash the beans against the side of the pan with a fork. This allows the beans to thicken the soup.
Pour in the milk and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Serve immediately and sprinkle top with freshly chopped parsley.