Black-Eyed Peas with Ham Bone or Ham Hock
1 lbdried black eyed peas
1ham bone or ham hock
2 qtchicken or vegetable stock
1 mediumonion, chopped
1 Tbspchopped garlic
1 tspground black pepper
1 tsptony chachere's creole seasoning
·salt to taste
How to Make Black-Eyed Peas with Ham Bone or Ham Hock
- Sort the beans and remove any stones or bad beans. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a stock pot, Bring ham bone or ham hock and 1 quart of stock to a boil; simmer for 1 hour before starting to cook beans.
- Add the black-eyed peas into pan with pork and add the other quart of stock and enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches.
- Add black pepper, onion and garlic. Bring back to a boil and simmer 1-1/12 hours or until beans are tender. Add salt. (If you are using ham hock, omit the salt. The ham hock will give the peas a more complex flavor and enough salt.)
- Allow beans to rest for @ 30 minutes before serving.