Black Bean Soup with Ham Shank Dumplings
Sorry the picture is sideways....I couldnt figure out how to fix it!
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 cchopped yellow onion
1/2 cchopped celery
1/2 cchopped carrots
1 lbdried black beans, rinsed and picked over
1-2whole chilis from a can, chopped
1 tspground cumin
1 tspchili powder
2 cbisquick baking mix
2/3 cmilk or beer
How to Make Black Bean Soup with Ham Shank Dumplings
- Combine the ham shanks. onions, celery, and water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the meat starts to fall off the bone, about 1 1/2 hours. Strain the stock through a colander into a clean pot, reserving about 2 cups stock and the vegetables. Set the ham shanks aside.
- Add the beans, chilis, cumin, and chili powder to the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook at a brisk simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Add 1/2 tsp of the salt during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- While the beans are cooking, remove the meat form the ham shanks and coarsely chop. Reserve 1/2 cup of the meat and add the rest to the soup. Take the remaining stock with the vegetables and puree. Add puree to the soup.
- When the beans are nearly done, combine the 1/2 cup of the reserved meat with the Bisquick mix, milk or beer and the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt in a bowl. Mmix to make a soft dough. To form the dumplings, drop by tablespoonful on top of the bubbling soup. Cook for 10 minutes, then cover pot for 10 minutes more.
- To serve, spoon a dumpling into each bowl and ladle soup over it.