★★★★★ 1 vote5
2/3 cnavy beans
How to Make Bill's Navy Bean Soup
- Pick over the dried beans and discard any debris.
- Wash and drain and put beans in a large pot and cover with water.
- Let stand 8 hours or overnight.
- The next day, chop celery, carrots and onions into 1/4-inch pieces. (This is easier with a food
- Drain beans and add vegetables, 5 cups water, ham hocks or ham bone, and pepper to taste and add salt if you wish.
- Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 3 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool.
- Remove meat from bones and cut meat into half-inch pieces.
- Put 2 cups of the soup into a blender along with the butter and flour; puree.
- Pour this puree back in pan.
- Puree more of the soup if you prefer a smoother texture and add the chopped ham pieces back into the soup.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until soup is slightly thickened.
- Good when sprinkled with a few drops of hot pepper sauce just before serving.