Big-Batch Lentil Soup
What a great jump-off it was! Here's my take:
* I use more red peppers (4 - 6) or 4 - 6 of a mixture of red yellow and orange
* ONLY red lentils - makes a much prettier soup - only a beautiful shade of red/orange with no muddiness.
* add 6 - 8 good sized carrots, chopped
* 42 oz. diced or petite diced tomatoes
* I also up the amounts of cumin, coriander and oregano and ALWAYS add cayenne so the soup has a bit of a bite.
* Also make it with homemade chicken or veggie stock, oOR reduced-salt store-bought chicken/veggie stock.
* Last, I add the juice of half to a whole lime, and sometimes the lime zest.
* Use a food processor to chop all the veggies and a emulsifier in the soup pot to puree and it's easy easy to make!
* Cook the soup down (on low heat so it doesn't stick) until it's as thick as you prefer.
3 Tbspolive oil
3red bell peppers, chopped
3garlic cloves, minced
2jalapeno peppers, minced
1 Tbsporegano, fresh chopped
1 Tbspcumin, ground
1.5 tspcoriander, ground
4 clentils, red or brown, rinsed
92 ozchicken broth
28 oztomatoes, canned with juice
1/2 ccilantro, fresh and chopped
LIME CREAM INGREDIENTS
1/3 csour cream
1 Tbsplime juice
How to Make Big-Batch Lentil Soup
- Warm oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook 3 minutes.
- Add red pepper, garlic, jalapeno, oregano, cumin and coriander; cook 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently.
- Add lentils, broth, tomatoes with liquid (breaking them up with a spoon) and 2 cups water; Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally; Stir in salt.
- Remove 1/3 of the soup to food processor fitted with metal blade; Puree soup by pulsing on-and-off.
- Stir puree back into soup in pot, along with cilantro.
- For lime cream: In small bowl, mix sour cream and lime juice; set aside for use on top of soup when served.