Bean & Bacon Soup with Corn Bread Waffles
- meaty ham bone
- 1 lb
- great northern white beans
- 1 large
- onion chopped
- 1 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- ham stock, soup base
- 1/2 tsp
- celery powder
- 1 lb
- 2 can(s)
- cream of potato soup
- 2 c
- self-rising corn meal
- 1 c
- 1/4 c
- oil, or shortening melted
- 1 large
- egg, beaten
- french fried onions, optional
How to Make Bean & Bacon Soup with Corn Bread Waffles
- 1Cook ham bone in water overnight in slow cooker. In the morning remove bone wit tongs, let cool.
- 2rinse beans and put in the slow cooker. ( I don't pre-soak mine, they cook all day so they turn out just fine) add ham stock, stir with a whisk to make sure it breaks up. add remaining seasonings.
- 3Cook on High for 6-8 hours. about 1/2 hour before you want to serve it. Fry bacon, let drain on paper towel. Saute onions in bacon drippings until done.
Add onions to soup. Chop bacon in food processor, add to soup.
- 4In a mixing bowl pour cream of potato soup in. Take about 1 cup of broth from your soup. Mix with potato soup. Pour into your soup. Serve about 1/2 hour from the time you put soup and bacon in.
- 5In the meantime, make your batter for cornbread. Mix in a large bowl cornmeal, oil, milk, and then egg. mix well. should look like pancake batter, if it's too thick add a bit more milk until it looks like a batter. If it's too thin add a bit more cornmeal.
- 6Heat your waffle iron and cook just as you would waffles. This is a nice way to get individual servings.
Dish up soup, I top mine with French Fried Onions.