Savoury Eccles Cakes
The photo is one I copied across from the internet but it does give a representation of how these cakes should look.
6 ozlean minced beef
1 smallonion, finely chopped
1 Tbspred pepper, chopped
1 Tbsptomato puree
·salt and pepper
6 ozself-raising flour
3 ozshredded suet
·cold water to mix
·beaten egg or milk.
How to Make Savoury Eccles Cakes
- Preheat oven to 230C, 450F, Gas Mark 8. Have a baking tray and a 5 inch cutter to hand.
- Brown the mince using its own fat. Add half the onion and the remainder of the filling ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the rest of the onion to the flour, shredded suet and salt. Mix with enough water to form a firm but soft dough. Roll out and cut into 6 rounds.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg or water and divide the filling between the rounds. Bring the pastry over the filling, seal and turn over, flattening slightly into an oval shape.
- Place on the baking tray, make 3 cuts across the top and glaze with beaten egg. Bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the temperature to 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5, and cook for another 15 minutes. Enjoy.
If you prefer to cook the filling in a microwave, these are the directions:
For a 650w microwave: Cook beef and onion on High for 3 minutes, stirring halfway. Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the stock to 3floz and cook for 5 minutes.
TIP: For a different flavor use finely chopped chicken instead of beef and replace the paprika with curry powder.