How to Make Pastel
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, egg yolk, margarine and baking powder.
- Slightly warm the milk and mix with 2 tablespoons of water and the salt.
- Add to the flour mixture, stir to combine and then knead well.
- If necessary, adjust the consistency of the dough by adding a little more flour (to a very soft dough) or milk (to a very stiff dough).
- Work the dough until soft but not sticky. Allow the dough to rest for about 15 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to 1/8-inch thick using a rolling pin and cut into approximately 4-inch squares.
- Stuff the dough with filling to suit your taste.
- Use your fingertip to run a droplet of water around the edge of the dough and then press together using the prongs of a fork to create a crimped seal.
- Heat a pot of oil over medium-high heat to about 350 F. Add the sealed pastels and fry until golden brown.
- These are somewhat like an English Pasties or an Empanada.