How to Make Homemade Cheez-its
- 1With a mixer in medium, combine cheese, butter, shortening and salt.
- 2Add in flour and mix on low (the dough will be dry).
- 3Add the water in a slow stream just until dough forms a ball (you don't want it wet).
- 4Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 5Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 6On a well floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin square (less than 1/8").
- 7With a pastry wheel, cut into 1" squares and use a skewer or toothpick to poke a hole in the center of each.
- 8Bake for 12-15 minutes or until light brown at the edges. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool.