Crostino (meaning "little toast" in Italian) is an Italian appetizer consisting of a small slice of grilled or toasted bread and toppings. The toppings may include a variety of different cheeses, meats, and vegetables, or may be presented more simply with a brush of olive oil and herbs or a sauce.
- olive oil, extra virgin
- other flavourings of your choice
How to Make Crostini
- 1leave each baguette for about a day as you do not want them to be too fresh. Slice each baguette into about 1/4 inch thick slices.
- 2Place slices on a baking tray and brush generously with olive oil on the top side. Sprinkle with a little salt and a chopped herb of your choosing.
- 3Bake for a bout 10 minutes until golden brown, remove from oven and cool on a rack. These will last for about 3 weeks in an airtight container once fully cooled.
- 4These taste lovely on their own or use them with a topping. Also, don't forget about flavoured olive oils - these are amazing if you use garlic or chilli flavoured olive oil.