How to Make Stacey's Popcorn Balls
- Pop the corn and place it into a big bowl or plastic tub. You will need a lot of room to stir it.
It's best to pop your corn with an air popper to prevent a lot of kernals ending up in the balls! I guess you can us microwave corn but I prefer to pop the corn myself on top of the stove. It tastes better.
- Place the 3 sticks of butter in a pan on medium heat and melt them.
- Add Kayro and sugar and cook, stirring until it comes to a soft boil. ( 5 minutes after it starts to boil or use a candy thermometer)
- To check for soft boil stage - drop a little bit of the mixture into a cup of cold water. If you can form it into a soft ball with your fingers, it is ready.
- Add vanilla and pour the mixture over the popped corn. Fold the corn and mixture together.
Butter up your hands with the stick of soft butter and pick up a glob of the corn and form the balls. At first the mixture is very hot so you need to wait a few minutes before starting to make the balls but if you wait to long for it to cool down it will not stick together. You will need to keep your hands buttered up to prevent the corn sticking to your hands.
When forming the balls, don't press to hard, just hard enough for the corn to stick and stay in a ball.
How many balls you will end up with depends on how big you make them.
- These are so yummy to eat and fun to make! You can ad food coloring to the mixture to make them extra pretty for the occasion. Red and Green for Christmas, Pink, Yellow and Green for Easter, Red and Pink for Valentines day. You get the picture!