TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
How to Make TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
- 11. Cut open pumpkin by cutting a circle around the stem end and pull the top off.
Using a strong metal spoon, scrape out the seeds and fiber that encloses them into a large bowl.
- 2Place the pumpkin seed mass in a colander, run under water to rinse and seprate seeds from everything else. Put seed in seprate container and allow them to drain, Flipping and drying with paper towels. If they stick to paper towel shake loose.
- 3Measure your pumpkin seed in a measuring cup, counting the number of cups *** If you have a lot of seeds you will need to do the following step in batches. **
To every 1/2 cup of seeds add 2 cups of water and 1 Tablespoon of salt. Place in a medium size sauce pan, bring salted water and seed to a boil, turn down to SIMMER, cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain in colander. Repeat process until all seed are boiled and drained. I think you can bump up to 1 cup of seed to 2 tablespoons of salt but I wouldn't crowd more than that.
- 4Drain seeds well !
- 5Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat the bottom of roasting pan with olive oil, about one Tablespoon. Spread seed on to roasting pan in single layer. Bake on top rack until seeds begin to brown - 10-20 minutes according to the size of the seeds. Small seed toast faster. KEEP AN EYE ON THEM SO THEY DON'T GET OVER TOASTED. You may stir seed in middle of roasting process.
- 6When nicely brown, remove from oven and cool on a rack. When completely cooled, store in an air tight container such as a zip lock plastic bag.
You can peel and just eat the inside, I like the whole crunchy thing. If not salty enough can add more next time, I like not extremely salty.