1/2 csake or mirin (or a combination of both)
2 clovegarlic, peeled and minced
1 Tbspfresh ginger, grated
How to Make Shoyu Tamago
- MARINADE: Combine the ingredients in a pan. Bring to a boil. Once mixture has come to a boil, remove pan from heat.
- Pour the marinade into a non-reactive storage container (glass preferably!)
- EGGS: Using a pushpin, straight pin or safety pin, make a small hole in the wider rounded end (not the pointy end) of each egg.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Carefully place the eggs in the water. Immediately start stirring the water so that the eggs are moving constantly. Do this for 2 full minutes *without stopping*.
- Continue to boil the eggs an additional 4 minutes. It is not necessary to stir the eggs.
- After the eggs have have boiled 6 minutes remove them to a strainer. Set aside to cool.
- When the eggs have cooled, remove the peel. Place the whole hard boiled eggs in the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate 12 hours.
- TO SERVE: remove eggs from the marinade. Slice each egg in half lengthwise. Plate and serve.
- Note: the marinade can be reused to marinate additional eggs. It will last about 1 month-but I would recommend using it sooner than that.