How to Make Scallion Pancakes
- 1Stir together flour, salt, hot water, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. This can also be done in a food processor with a dough blade. I need to say I forgot the oil in this step but did brush my cakes with it before I added the onions which I have seen done in many videos.
- 2Transfer to a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until soft and smooth and forming a round ball, 10 minutes. Cover with a damp paper towel; let stand at least 30 minutes I think I did 1 hour.Or use a mixer with a dough hook.
- 3Divide dough into four pieces take 1 section roll each piece out into a circle, keeping remaining pieces covered as you work. I used the three hand wide method roll it out and see if you can fit three hands on the disk at this point some people will brush the disk with some sesame oil I will next time as I feel it could use more flavor I just brushed mine with the vegetable oil then took a large handful of the onions and sprinkled them across the disk.
- 5Wrap each rope around itself to form a spiral, like a cinnamon roll seam side in then just tuck the end under the curled up rope, Flatten gently with your hand, then re-roll I rolled mine out to fit 2 of my hands on the disk. If in any of these steps gets to sticky use flour on your hands, pin and surface.
- 7To cook, just put a half Tablespoon or so in a pan on medium heat cook for about 2 minutes and flip, you will want to flip every minute or so back and forth till brown. After both sides are brown scrunch both sides together a bit. I know sounds funny but it will loosen up the layers of crunchiness.