Pizza Base Croutons
Living in NZ I havent found a premade pizza dough in our supermarkets (I havent looked too hard though), but you can roll little balls and bake them the same way (I would think these would be delicious).
Use your preferred quantities, this is my lazy way of making croutons in bulk to freeze in small bags for easy use.
- 9 inch pizza bases (part cooked)
- 1 c
- olive oil
- 50 g
- butter, melted
- garlic cloves, sliced or crushed
- 1 tsp
- dried parlsey
- 1/2 tsp
- To taste
- salt & pepper
How to Make Pizza Base Croutons
- 1Preheat oven to 200C.
In a bowl add the olive oil, garlic and herbs and stir thoroughly. (At this point you can cover with clear film and refrigerate for a couple of hours to let the flavours marinade better).
- 2Let stand while you chop up the pizza bases into 1cm cubes. Place into a large bowl.
- 3Into the olive oil, add the melted butter and stir until well combined.
- 4Drizzle the butter and oil over the bowl of pizza base cubes, and use a large spoon to fold the cubes into the oil. Make sure you bring the bottom cubes to the top until they are coated in the oil.
- 5Line a large baking pan with baking paper and fill with the oiled pizza base cubes.
- 6Spread out the cubes but dont worry if they dont form a single layer. They will still toast beautifully but will take a bit longer than usual.
- 7Bake in oven and stir every 5-7 minutes until they are toasted the way you like (take them out a little earlier than needed as they will crisp up quickly when they start too cool).
- 8When done, remove from oven, sprinkle with salt and pepper and transfer to a platter to cool.