- 2 lb
- raw head on prawns (you can use head off, just use less salt, and marinate less time)
- small lemon (halved)
- 2 Tbsp
- table salt (or fine sea-salt if available)
- large cloves of garlic
- large shallots
- allspice berries (ground)
- 1 Tbsp
- ground black pepper
- 1 pinch
- whole, fresh habanero chilies
- 1/4 c
- apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp
- cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp
- red food coloring (optional)
- 1 1/2 c
- cups water
- 2 Tbsp
- pair of gloves
How to Make Pepper Shrimp
- 1Place prawns in a bowl, squeeze lemon juice over them and toss. After about 2 minutes rinse and drain the prawns leave them in their bowl.
- 2In a blender mix the garlic, shallots, ginger and habaneros. Juice the limes and add in the ground black pepper, 1/2 the ground allspice, and cayenne. Puree until smooth, then pour it liberally over the prawns. Toss prawns until they’re well coated.
- 3Let the prawns marinate for about 1 hour stirring them around about every 10-15min. (You can let them marinate for longer but more time equals more heat. You may want to start with an hour until you've found your tolerance level.)
- 4After the prawns have marinated, get your large pot heating on the stove with the water, salt, remaining allspice.
- 5# Pour the marinating liquid from the prawns into the pot and begin reducing. Reduce the liquid down by about half or until it’s a moderately thick syrup.
- 6When the liquid has reduced pour in the prawns and cover stirring about every 5 minutes until the prawns have all changed color to the nice pink-opaque (try not to overcook them, they will get really dry!) Using a slotted spoon, scoop all the prawns out of the liquid and place the prawns on the side in a bowl.
- 7With the liquid remaining in the pot add the vinegar (add food coloring here) and butter and begin reducing again. This time allow the sauce to reduce down to a runny paste, thick enough that its not covering the bottom of the pan. Add in the previously cooked prawns and toss to coat. Remove all of the prawns from the pan and pour any remaining sauce over them.
- 8Serve chilled or at room temp.... goes great with a cold beer =)