Make & Store Dehydrated Sweet Potato Chips- Dogs
*Another thought, in case of an emergency, you may not have power to seal up a bag after use. You will have small amt. left so no spoilage. DON'T FORGET LABELING AND DATE
"Sweet Potato Dog Treats" and an expiration date of one year from when you bagged them.
How to Make Make & Store Dehydrated Sweet Potato Chips- Dogs
- 1"Dehydrated sweet potatoes make great homemade dog treats. Used as a safe and healthy alternative to rawhides, dried sweet potatoes are also cheaper. With a food dehydrator, these tasty treats are simple to make and your four-legged friend will love them. You can also dehydrate sweet potatoes by baking the sweet potato chips at a low temperature for a few hours. Sweet potatoes have a number of nutrients and vitamins that are good for dogs, as well as humans." Statement by Erin Whitney-Chavez
- 2Peel and wash the sweet potatoes. Be sure to remove any eyes or green parts of the potato you find.
- 3Slice your sweet potatoes as thin as you would like not exceeding 1/4 inch. If you are making chips for a dog treat, you want the slices to be as thin as possible. If you are making chews to replace rawhides, you want the slices to be a little thicker.
- 4Place your sweet potato slices on a cookie sheet. If you have a food dehydrator, place the slices on the dehydrating trays. Try to leave space between the slices so that the edges can dry completely.
- 5Season your sweet potato slices as you would like. Dogs usually do not need any additional spices for their sweet potatoes but you can sprinkle cinnamon or ginger for added taste. Both cinnamon and ginger are very good for dogs.
- 6Bake or dehydrate the sweet potato slices. If you have a food dehydrator, the slices will take about 12-14 hours to completely dry out.
If you are using your oven, preheat to 135 degrees. Bake sweet potatoes for 6 to 12 hours. Check the potatoes to find your desired crispiness.
- 7Store in small Mylar Bags or jars, sealing properly. Don't forget to add to each bag, Oxygen Absorbers. You can use large Mylar bags, simply cut to size.
If there is any product left, keep the oxygen absorber in bag and close tightly even if you cannot seal.