This is the recipe I grew up on. My mom always used it to make deer jerky.
If you're watching your sodium - use low sodium soy sauce and omit the seasoned salt, it still comes out great!
- 3 - 4 lb
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder - (i use 1 tablespoon)
- 2 1/2 tsp
- onion powder
- 1 tsp
- black pepper - (i use fresh coarse ground and lots of it)
- 1/2 c
- soy sauce - (i use low-sodium dale's seasoning)
- 2 Tbsp
- liquid smoke - (i use hickory)
- 1 Tbsp
- seasoned salt - (i use lawry's)
- 2 tsp
- accent, quick tender, msg (you can omit if you like, sometimes i will use worcestershire sauce instead)
How to Make Jerky Recipe
- 1If using whole meat - Cut into long narrow strips, marinate in sauce for at least 2 hours. You can either weave the tops of the strips through bamboo skewers to hang from top rack in oven or lay directly on dehydrating tray. Bake at 200 degree for 3 - 4 hours. If you're not sure how done you want your meat, take one out, let cool and try it first.
- 2If you use ground meat - mix the sauce with the meat thoroughly. Let sit overnight in fridge before dehydrating. I usually cook a small piece of meat in a skillet before I dehydrate to make sure they are well flavored and not too salty. If it's too salty add more ground meat. I use a jerky cannon or blaster to make my strips. You can also roll out meat between wax paper or plastic wrap and then slice into strips. I use a dehydrator or my electric smoker w/o the wood chips. It usually takes me about 6-10 hours.