Japanese Cucumber Pickles
- 1/2 c
- rice vinegar
- 2 tsp
- granulated sugar
- 1 tsp
- pickling or fine sea salt
- 6 c
- thinly sliced cucumbers
- mild red onion thinly sliced--or other mild sweet onion
- red or green fresh chile, seeded and thinly sliced
How to Make Japanese Cucumber Pickles
- 1In a small saucepan or microwave container, combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt and heat just enough to completely dissolve the sugar. Let cool to room temperature.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the cucumber slices, onion and chile with the vinegar mixture and toss gently. The cucumbers will seem dry, but the salt will draw out moisture from the cucumbers to create more brine.
- 3Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. The cucumbers can be refrigerated in a sterile container for at least a week. They probably won't last that long!
- 4Very good with grilled foods and along side any Oriental meal. Enjoy!