Half Sour Pickles Deli Style
They're super simple to make. The only caution I give is to use a container with a wide enough top that you can place something inside to weigh the cucumbers down. If any float and are exposed to air they may rot.
- 6 to 8 pickling cucumbers, or enough to fill your container
- 4 c
- cool water
- 1/4 c
- kosher salt, don't use table salt it has ingredients you don't want
- cloves garlic, give them a quick crush and remove the peel
- 1 tsp
- black peppercorns
How to Make Half Sour Pickles Deli Style
- 1Wash the cucumbers well and place in a wide mouth container. I have a little stock pot, about 8 inches across and 10 inches deep that's my go to. You need to be able to weigh the cucumbers down so they don't float, I use a saucer.
- 2Add the garlic and peppercorns to the container. NOTE - it's not traditional, but some like to add a teaspoon of picking spices, or a sprig of fresh dill.
- 3Mix the water and salt and stir until dissolved.
- 4Pour over the cucumbers. If they are not covered make more salt water with the same proportion of salt to water.
- 5Weigh down the cucumbers so they are not floating. If exposed to air they will rot.
- 6Partially cover and let sit on the counter for 3 days. You'll see little bubbles starting to form. This means they are fermented and ready. Chill and enjoy!