Microwave Carmel Popcorn
20 cpopped popcorn (there are 8 cups per bag of microwave popcorn )
1 cbrown sugar
1 stickbutter, not margarine
1/4 cdrk karo
1/2 tspbaking soda
1 csalted spanish peanuts *opt
How to Make Microwave Carmel Popcorn
- Keep popped popcorn in a warm oven until ready to carmelize
- In a large glass measuring pitcher ( something with a handle and pour spout works best ) add brown sugar,butter, salt and syrup.
- Bring to a boil in microwave. Microwaves vary, so see how long it takes in yours and make note of it for future references for yourself
- Boil 2 minutes, remove and add baking soda
- quickly stir and pour over popped corn. doesn't have to cover it all, because there is more steps that will coat it all evenly
- place popped corn, and nuts if using any in a large paper grocery bag, crumple down top to "seal"
- Microwave on high power for one minute
- take out and shake, I keep one hand clasped on crumpled top
- return to microwave and microwave one more minute, remove and shake again
- pour out into a large pan or bowl to cool.
- bag up however you are going to serve it, or store it.
- NOTE* I go to a grocery store ahead of time and ask for a few "new" grocery bags. you may offer to pay, but if you tell them what you are making, they will give them to you for a return bag of carmel corn
for storing and giving away:
I bought poly "bread sacks by the bulk for my bread making and baked goods I used to sell, and these long bags will hold a nice size amt of this buttery treat.
- You may use lt. karo and or molasses in place of the dark karo,, in an old amish book they use molasses to make "cracker jack type snack.I've never tried the molasses, so just wanted to share that tidbit.