Cajun Style Boiled Peanuts
Being from the South (yep, a Rebel), summers without boiled peanuts is like Christmas with no Santa. Not good at all! But why stop there? Boiled peanuts can be frozen or canned for the winter. These are great to make when the fresh (green) peanut is in season from May - Nov. You can even use the dry peanut in the shell (unroasted) and just soak overnight first. This recipe is Very Spicy! Adjust the peppers to suit yourself. I listed these as appetizers or side dish, we need a snack category.
1 lbraw (green) peanuts in shell
1 pkg(3 ounce) dry crab boil (such as zatarains's)
1/3 cchopped jalapeno peppers (or use canned peppers with brine)
1/4 ccajun seasoning
1/4 ccayenne pepper
1/4 cred pepper flakes
1 Tbspgarlic powder
How to Make Cajun Style Boiled Peanuts
- Place the rinsed in-shell peanuts in a slow cooker with all other ingredients.
- Add enough water to cover & stir.
- Since the peanuts will float until they are cooked a bit, place a heavy saucer inside the slow cooker to weight them down for the first few hours.
- Turn the slow cooker on low, cover and allow to cook. After 4 or 5 hours, remove the saucer and add water if needed.
- Continue to cook for a total of 24 hrs or until the peanuts are soft. Drain, serve hot or room temperature.