How to Make Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer OR deep frying pan to 360 degrees F.
- On a cutting board, stack 3-4 tortillas and using a sharp knife, cut into 8 wedges. You can use sisscors if you like. Repeat until all tortillas are cut into wedges. Separate any that may stick together.
- Add a handful of tortilla wedges to the hot oil, stir to separate, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Remove and drain on a brown paper bag, lined with paper towels. Salt immediately, if desired. Repeat procedure with remaining tortilla wedges. Place in bowl for serving. Makes 96 chips
Store unused portion at room temperature in an airtight container.
- VARATION: For BAKED tortilla chips, lightly brush whole tortillas with vegetable oil..or oil spray (such as PAM) Cut into wedges as directed above..Place chips in a single layer on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with salt; if desired. Bake in a 425 degree oven, for about 10-12 minutes or until crisp and light golden brown, turning chips halfway through the baking time. Transfer to paper towels and cool completely.
- NOTE: YOu can use flour tortilla's in place of corn, if you would like too.