Zucchini Stuffed Tomatoes
8garden tomatoes, medium sized
1/4 colive oil or butter
3zucchini, medium sized, cleaned and diced
1garlic clove, minced
1onion, medium, diced
4small cremini (white) mushrooms, chopped
1/2 tsphimalayan pink salt
1/8 tspfresh ground black pepper
1/4 tspdried italian seasoning
1/4 tspdried basil
1 ctoasted croutons
1/2 cmexican blend shredded cheese
How to Make Zucchini Stuffed Tomatoes
- Wipe zucchini clean; slice off the ends. Cut into coin slices, then dice. Place in a colander to drain.
- Wipe tomatoes and cut a thick slice from the top of each one. Scoop out the pulp. Dice the pulp and add to the colander with the zucchini to drain a few minutes. This will lessen your cooking time.
Wipe mushrooms and chop. Set aside in small bowl.
- In a large heavy skillet, melt your butter or heat the olive oil if using that over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms stirring to coat. Saute' 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon in zucchini and tomato pulp. Sprinkle sugar over mixure. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and basil. Stir to blend well.
- Cook mixture over medium to medium high heat, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Stir in toasted croutons.
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Grease it so tomatoes will not stick to the bottom. Place tomatoes in dish and add the filling to each one. Do not cover with foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the Mexican blend shredded cheese evenly over the tomatoes. Return to the oven and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is browned.