Zucchini or Summer Squash Fritters
- 4-5 medium
- zucchini or summer squash
- 1 small
- onion - grated
- 1 tsp
- coarse salt
- 1 large
- egg - well beaten
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper - freshly grated
- 2-3 Tbsp
- oil of your choice for frying
How to Make Zucchini or Summer Squash Fritters
- 1(If planning to serve as soon as they’re done), preheat oven to 250 degrees. Have a baking sheet lined with paper towels ready. Trim ends off zucchini and grate them either on the large holes of a box grater or, if you have one, using the shredding blade of a food processor.
- 2In a large bowl, toss zucchini with 1 teaspoon coarse salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Wring out the zucchini in one of the following ways: pressing it against the holes of a colander with a wooden spoon to extract the water, squeezing out small handfuls at a time, or wrapping it up in a clean dishtowel or piece of cheese cloth and wringing away.
- 3Return deflated mass of zucchini shreds to bowl. Taste and if you think it could benefit from more salt add a little bit more. Stir in onion, egg, flour and some freshly ground black pepper.
- 4In a large heavy skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Drop small bunches of the zucchini mixture onto the skillet only a few at a time so they don’t become crowded and lightly nudge them flatter with the back of your spatula.
- 5Cook the fritters over moderately high heat until the edges underneath are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Flip the fritters and fry them on the other side until browned underneath again, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Drain briefly on paper towels then transfer to baking sheet and then into the warm oven until needed. Repeat process, keeping the pan well-oiled, with remaining batter.
- 6Cook’s Note: I like to make sure that the fritters have at least 10 minutes in the oven to finish setting and getting extra crisp.
- 7Do ahead: (This is the best part!)These fritters keep well, either chilled in the fridge for the better part of a week and or frozen in a well-sealed package for months. When you’re ready to use them, simply spread them out on a tray in a 325 degree oven until they’re hot and crisp again.