For those that are vegans, you do not have to add meat, but can add other vegetable items to the mix instead.
Either way, this can be a great main course or an added side dish.
- 2 medium
- zucchini squash halved length wise
- 1/2 medium
- onion - chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 - 15 oz
- can of tomato sauce
- 2 c
- diced up left over roast meats or other vegis
- 3 Tbsp
- butter - melted
- 8 oz
- cheddar cheese - shredded
- 8 oz
- motzarella cheese - shredded
- 1 clove
- garlic - minced
How to Make Zucchini Boats
- 1Preheat your oven to 350.
Wash zucchini and cut lengthwise from end to end. With a sturdy spoon, scoop out the seeds and some of the meat of the zucchini to make a boat. Dont take too much of the meat out tho. Save the seeds and meat in a large bowl.
- 2Take bowl that has zucchini meat in it, add your chopped onion, parsley, oregano, tomato sauce, garlic, melted butter and left over meats or other vegis and mix well and set aside.
- 3In a stock pot full of water, bring the water to a boil. Add zucchini boats one at a time into the water. When the zucchini boats are softened slightly but still firm (about 5 to 8 minutes) remove from the water using tongs and drain and place in a baking pan.
NOTE: You do not want to over blanch the zucchini or it will be mush. You want them still a bit firm when removed with the tongs.
- 4Take your meat or vegi mixture and fill the boats. Cover pan with aluminum foil.
- 5Bake at 350 covered in the oven for about 30 minutes. Uncover and top with cheddar and motzarella cheeses and put back in the oven until cheeses are melted and slightly browned, about another 15 minutes.