Tickled pink….pickled onions!
Irisa Raina 9
And the drained juice from the onions is so good it any Mexican dish.
If I am not going to use the onions right away “in a few days“ I’ll drain the onions and keep them in an air tight container.
Depending on how big your onions are,you may need more or less of the lime juice. You’ll want to make sure the juice completely covers the onions.
You can also do this with only white or red onions.
I use these onions in Mexican soups, carne asada, tacos, tortillas,salas etc. But don't limit your self you just Mexican cuisine
★★★★★ 1 vote5
·1 medium red onion
·1 medium sweet white onion
·1 tablespoon white sugar
·1 tablespoon sea salt
How to Make Tickled pink….pickled onions!
- Mix the sugar and salt together.
- Slice the onions thin and place them in a glass bowl, add the sugar/salt mixture and toss to coat. Let sit on the counter for 15 minutes tossing occasionally.
- Juice the limes and pour over the onions. Let sit about 1 hour on the counter. Mixing every 15 minutes or so.
- Then cover and place in the refrigerator. You’ll want to mix or toss the onion, lime juice mixture oh about every few hours the first couple of days.
- Once you see the red onions start to bleed out some color & start to turn rosy you can leave them in the lime juice “ no more than a couple of days “ till you are ready to use them.
- When you are ready to use them, drain them from the lime juice, “ do not discard the juice “ freeze it for another use.
- These should last for several weeks in the refrigerator.