The BEST Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus Bundles
If you don't think these are the greatest asparagus/bacon bundles after making them... then I just don't know what to think! ;)
1 bunchfresh asparagus
1 ptchicken stock (homemade is best)
6-8 slicebacon (i like thick peppered bacon)
2-3 Tbspcanola oil
·crushed red pepper
How to Make The BEST Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus Bundles
- Preheat oven to 400.
Spray the top portion of a broiling pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add chicken stock and some salt to a saute pan. Place on stove top on medium heat. Bring to light boil. (I also add garlic powder here because I really like garlic, but that's optional.)
- Meanwhile, wash asparagus bundle and while rubber bands are still on, cut off the bottom couple of inches of the stalks. (These can be tough and difficult to eat.) Remove rubber bands.
- When stock is lightly boiling, drop the stalks in, all facing the same direction. Reduce heat to simmer the asparagus for about 5-7 minutes. (Do not overcook. If the asparagus starts to lose too much green colour, take them out.)
- While asparagus cooks, in a baking dish or bowl, combine the flavoured oil ingredients. (I didn't add measurements for the seasoning as each cook is different and prefers more or less of each thing. I always add LOTS of the red and black pepper which compliments the bacon well.)
- Transfer stalks from pan to dish with flavoured oil. Toss stalks to thoroughly coat each one. Allow asparagus to cool in the oil for at least 5 minutes. [Save your stock if you want. I do and the veggie flavour adds a whole new element to it. (I use it to cook rice in.)]
- Divide the stalks evenly. A good bundle is about 6-7 stalks. Count your stalks and divide them. (If you have an extra or two... no harm in tasting them. No one will ever know! We wouldn't want uneven bundles!) Take a strip of bacon and wrap it around a bundle about three times. Tuck the ends in so the bacon doesn't unfurl while cooking. (Do not overlap the bacon TOO much. A little is fine. Refer to pictures.)
- Arrange bundles on the broiler pan with some space between each one. Place in the oven and cook 15-20 mins or until bacon is cooked on top. Cooking time will depend on thickness of bacon. (Sometimes, I finish them up with the broiler on for a couple mins.) If the tips of the asparagus are looking too done, take them out.