Tennessee Fried Corn
How to Make Tennessee Fried Corn
- Select corn with full, round, milky kernels. Very important - must be very fresh! Remove shucks and silks. Over a large bowl, cut the tips of the kernels off the cob. Then use the edge of the knife to remove all of the milky portion remaining on the cob. This is what will give the creaminess, so don't skip this step.
- In a cast iron skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Set bacon aside on paper towels and discard all but 4 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
- Add corn to the skillet. Cook without stirring until the bottom is browned. You can take a peek by lifting corn from the side with a spatula.
- When the bottom is well browned, add the milk, salt, pepper AND a pinch of sugar. Stir until combined. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- If desired, you can arrange the cooked bacon over the corn in the skillet - or you can save it for breakfast.