Tarte a L'oignon (French Onion Pie)
- 8 slice
- bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 medium
- sweet onions (such as vidalia), thinly sliced
- 1 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- black pepper
- 2 tsp
- brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp
- all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch
- ground nutmeg
- (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
How to Make Tarte a L'oignon (French Onion Pie)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- 2Place the bacon pieces into a skillet, and cook over medium heat until browned. Remove bacon from skillet, reserving 4 tablespoons bacon fat, and drain on paper towels.
- 3Place the onions into the same skillet with the bacon fat, and cook over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 8 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and brown sugar (if using). Combine the milk and cream in a bowl. Sprinkle the flour over the onions, and stir to blend. Stir in the milk mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat, stir in the bacon, and set aside to cool 10 minutes.
- 4Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl until light colored and frothy. Stir a spoonful of the onion mixture into the eggs. Add another spoonful of the onion mixture, and continue stirring. Repeat, until all the onions have been stirred into the eggs and are thoroughly blended. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- 5Bake in preheated oven until the crust is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool 5 minutes before serving.