Sweet Vidalia Onion Pie
4 mediumvidalia onions, thinly sliced
3 largeeggs, beaten
1 csour cream
2 Tbspflour, plain
1/2 ccheddar cheese, shredded
·fresh herbs for garnish
·several small onions cut inhalf for garnish if desired
How to Make Sweet Vidalia Onion Pie
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Saute onions in butter until carmelized (a light browned color). Combine eggs, sour cream, salt, pepper, flour, milk and half of the cheese (add all of the cheese if making two-crust pie); mix thoroughly. Add onions.
- You have different options in the next step:
1) TWO-CRUST PIE: Add all of the cheese in step 1, pour mixture into bottom pie shell. Top with upper crust; brush with melted butter. Top with small half-cut onions starting with outer ring working your way to middle; brush tops with melted butter. Sprinkle with small amount of fresh herbs.
2) 9X13 CASSEROLE: Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Pour onion mixture into dish. Top with remaining cheese-add additional cheese if needed.
- Bake at 450 for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and continue to bake for 20 minutes longer. This applies for pie as well as casserole. Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil during final stages of cooking to prevent excessive browning.