Sweet Refrigerator Pickles
4 ccucumbers, sliced
1 largeonion, sliced, separated into rings
1 largebell pepper, sliced in half, seeded, cut in slices
1 3/4 cwhite vinegar
3 1/2 csugar or stevia
1 1/2 tspcelery seed
1 1/2 tspmustard seeds
2-3 smallchili peppers, optional
How to Make Sweet Refrigerator Pickles
- Mix together the cucumbers, onions, bell peppers and salt; set aside.
- Place the vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and allow cooling for one hour.
- If using, add a chili pepper in each of the 2-3 16-oz. jars and pack the mixed veggies into jars.
- Pour the cooled vinegar mixture over the vegetables, cover and store in refrigerator.
- Pat's Notes:
I used a red bell pepper to give the pickles color. These never last long here and I find an empty jar a lot!
In the summer and fall when I have my home grown cucumbers I don't peel them. If they are store bought I use a vegetable wash to clean them (the wax off the peel). If that fails I peel them.