★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/2 cwater
12 ozgreen beans, trimmed, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 cfresh shelled beans
1/4 cminced onion
4 largeeggs, at room temperature
·freshly ground pepper to taste
How to Make Sunny-Side Beans
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add green beans and shelled beans. Reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 15-20 minutes. (The beans will not be completely submerged in the liquid.) Stir in onion, butter and salt. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until the butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill four 10-ounce ovenproof bowls with hot water to warm them while the oven preheats.
- Empty the bowls and dry. Place them on a baking sheet. Evenly divide the bean mixture and butter sauce among the bowls. Using a large spoon make a 1/2-inch-deep well in the beans for each egg. Break an egg into each well.
- Bake until the egg whites are just set, 15-20 minutes. Check after 15 minutes; if necessary, continue to bake, checking every minute or two, until the whites are set but the yolks are still liquid. Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes; the eggs will continue to cook a little bit. Serve with a generous grinding of pepper on top.
- Serving size: 1 egg, 1 Cup beans each
Calories:204, Fat:11g, Sat Fat:5g, Mono Fat:3g, Cholesterol:201mg, Carbs:17g, Protein:11g, Fiber:6g, Sodium:379mg, Potassium:396mg