Summer Squash Casserole
Years ago, I experimented with different recipes until I came up with this one. It is a combination of several recipes, combining ingredients until I came up with the perfect squash casserole that my family would eat. Everyone loves it and it is great for family gatherings, church socials, etc. It makes great use of abundant summer squash!
2 ccooked, yellow, summer squash (crooked neck)
1/2 stickbutter, softened
1 can(s)evaporated milk
1 cgrated cheese (mild cheddar or colby, jack mix or mozzerella blend)
1 cchopped onion
2 ccracker crumbs. note: you may use any type you like...( i use town house originals, ritz. i have even used bread crumbs and crushed croutons.)
·salt and pepper to season
How to Make Summer Squash Casserole
- Lightly mash the cooked squash in the pan that you cooked it in.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the beaten eggs with softened butter.
- Blend in evaporated milk.
- Stir in squash, cheese and onions and 1 and 1/2 cups of the cracker crumbs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture into a buttered or greased 9x9in. square dish or an 8x11in. casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cracker crumbs on top.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.