Summer Squash Casserole
Years ago, I experimented with different recipes until I came up with this one. It is a combination of several recipes, combining ingredients until I came up with the perfect squash casserole that my family would eat. Everyone loves it and it is great for family gatherings, church socials, etc. It makes great use of abundant summer squash!
- 2 c
- cooked, yellow, summer squash (crooked neck)
- 1/2 stick
- butter, softened
- eggs, beaten
- 1 can(s)
- evaporated milk
- 1 c
- grated cheese (mild cheddar or colby, jack mix or mozzerella blend)
- 1 c
- chopped onion
- 2 c
- cracker crumbs. note: you may use any type you like...( i use town house originals, ritz. i have even used bread crumbs and crushed croutons.)
- salt and pepper to season
How to Make Summer Squash Casserole
- 1Lightly mash the cooked squash in the pan that you cooked it in.
- 2In a medium mixing bowl, mix the beaten eggs with softened butter.
- 3Blend in evaporated milk.
- 4Stir in squash, cheese and onions and 1 and 1/2 cups of the cracker crumbs.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Pour mixture into a buttered or greased 9x9in. square dish or an 8x11in. casserole dish.
- 7Sprinkle remaining cracker crumbs on top.
- 8Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.