Summer Squash Casserole
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- medium (10-12 in.) zucchini*
- medium sized, yellow summer squash*
- medium onion, thinly sliced
- roma or other plum style tomatoes, sliced
- slices lean bacon (can use turkey bacon, as well)**
- 1- 1/2 c
- romano cheese, grated (or parmesan)
- 2 tsp
- dried parsley flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- small can of french's fried onions for topping (optional)
- pam or other pan coating spray
How to Make Summer Squash Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- 2Slice all vegetables and set aside. Slice squashes & tomatoes about 1/4-1/2" thick. Onions should be very thinly sliced.
- 3In a large, oven safe casserole dish or 13x9 baking pan (Bottom and sides sprayed with non-stick cooking spray)begin layering (lasagna style), first squash, then tomatoes, then onions, then 3 strips of bacon.
- 4Sprinkle with a pinch of the dried parsley, then a couple of Tbs. of the grated cheese. Salt and pepper to taste, being careful not to over salt as the bacon will add saltiness as well.
- 5Continue layering as above finishing with a top layer of squash. Usually, depending on the size of your baking dish, there will be 2 complete layers, and then the final layer of squash. Top that layer of squash with remaining grated cheese, 4 slices of bacon, a bit of parsley, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil, or casserole dish cover, and bake in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until squash is tender when checked with a fork.
- 6Uncover and top with French's onions. Bake an additional 5-8 minutes until top is golden brown. Cut into squares with a sharp knife for easy serving.
- 7* Make sure the skins on the squash or still tender and EASILY pierced with a fingernail. If not, the casserole will not be as soft and tender when cooked.
- 8**To make this recipe vegetarian, omit the bacon and substitute imitation bacon flavored bits (You'll need about a half cup)for in between the layers and the top. Also, in each layer, and on top, add 2-3 tsp. of soy based "butter" in small dabs throughout the layers and top. It just does not taste the same without a little bit of "fat"