Stuffed Eggplant Italiano
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- medium to large eggplant
- medium green bell pepper, chopped
- medium onion, chopped
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 clove
- garlic, finely diced
- raw, extra large egg, slightly beaten
- slices stale white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 tsp
- italian seasoning
- 1/4 c
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Stuffed Eggplant Italiano
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut eggplant in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out flesh, reserving shell. Coarsely chop scooped out eggplant into bite size pieces.
- 2Place a 12" non-stick skillet over medium high heat and saute eggplant, green pepper and onion in olive oil for 10-12 minutes, or until onion becomes transparent. (You may have to add more olive oil or vegetable oil while sauteeing.)
- 3Add the tomatoes and garlic to the eggplant mixture and stir to combine. Add the beaten egg, torn bread and Italian seasoning to the skillet and stir quickly to combine ingredients and to prevent the egg from "scrambling". Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook for 5 more minutes, stirring condstantly.
- 4Transfer mixture to reserved eggplant shells and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place stuffed shells in a baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serves 6-8 (depending on size of eggplant)