Stewed Whole Onions (Cebolas Estufadas)
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From The Food of Portugal by Jean Anderson.
6spanish onions, each about 3 1/2-inches in diameter
3 Tbspolive oil
4bay leaves (do not crumble)
1 1/2 cbeef broth, preferably homemade
1/4 Tbspfreshly ground black pepper
2 Tbspminced parsley
How to Make Stewed Whole Onions (Cebolas Estufadas)
- Preheat the oven to moderate (350F.).
- Brown the onions lightly in the oil in a large heavy saute pan or flameproof shallow casserole set over moderately high heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning the onions constantly in the oil.
- Add the bay leaves and beef broth, turn the onions so that the twists are on top, sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper, cover, and bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer or until the onions are nicely browned and feel tender when you pierce them with a metal skewer.
- Remove to a heated serving dish, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
- These onions are a wonderful accompaniment to almost any roast meat -- beef, lamb, pork, or poultry.