Stewed Whole Onions (Cebolas Estufadas)
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From The Food of Portugal by Jean Anderson.
- spanish onions, each about 3 1/2-inches in diameter
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- bay leaves (do not crumble)
- 1 1/2 c
- beef broth, preferably homemade
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 Tbsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- minced parsley
How to Make Stewed Whole Onions (Cebolas Estufadas)
- 1Preheat the oven to moderate (350F.).
- 2Brown the onions lightly in the oil in a large heavy saute pan or flameproof shallow casserole set over moderately high heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning the onions constantly in the oil.
- 3Add the bay leaves and beef broth, turn the onions so that the twists are on top, sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper, cover, and bake 45 minutes.
- 4Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer or until the onions are nicely browned and feel tender when you pierce them with a metal skewer.
- 5Remove to a heated serving dish, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
- 6These onions are a wonderful accompaniment to almost any roast meat -- beef, lamb, pork, or poultry.