Spiced Green Tomato Pickles
4 qtgreen tomatoes, about 24 to 28 medium
2 conions, sliced, about 6 to 8 medium
2 largegreen bell peppers, diced
3 cwhite or brown sugar, i use white
2 1/2 Tbspcelery seed
2 1/2 Tbspmustard seed
1 qtdistilled white vinegar (approximately)
TIE IN A BAG:
2 Tbspeach of whole cloves & allspice
How to Make Spiced Green Tomato Pickles
- Wash the tomatoes and cut into slices or quarters.
- Peel onions and slice.
- Sprinkle alternate layers of tomatoes and onions with salt. Cover and let stand overnight.
- In the morning drain thoroughly. Put in a kettle and add peppers, sugar, loose spices and spice bag. Add enough vinegar to cover the mixture.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender but not soft.
- Pack into hot, sterilized jars. Cover with liquid. Seal with tops and lids. Process 5 minutes. (Makes 5 Pints).
- Note: The pickles may be giving a very fresh taste when served by adding a little celery cut into small pieces.