Southern Mixed Greens
3 ceach: fresh collard, mustard & turnip greens
8 slicebacon, chopped
6 ozcooked ham, diced small
2 qtchicken broth
to tastesalt & pepper
How to Make Southern Mixed Greens
- To prepare the greens: Rinse them well. Cut the leaves from the stems and discard the stems. Then chop or tear the leaves into pieces. You should have 3 cups of the pieces for each type of greens.
- Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Place the bacon pieces in the pot and cook until they are crisp.
- Add the ham, chicken broth, water and sugar and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the green, salt and pepper.
- Lower the heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Strain to serve.