Southern Mixed Greens
How to Make Southern Mixed Greens
- 1To prepare the greens: Rinse them well. Cut the leaves from the stems and discard the stems. Then chop or tear the leaves into pieces. You should have 3 cups of the pieces for each type of greens.
- 2Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Place the bacon pieces in the pot and cook until they are crisp.
- 3Add the ham, chicken broth, water and sugar and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in the green, salt and pepper.
- 5Lower the heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- 6Strain to serve.