Southern Fried Okra with Jalapeno Yogurt Sauce
1/4 cgreek yogurt
1 Tbspjalapeno finely minced
1 Tbsplime juice
1 Tbspfresh cilantro finely minced
1/2 lbfresh okra
1/2 cself rising cornmeal
1/2 call purpose flour
1 Tbspcajun seasoning
·vegetable oil for frying
How to Make Southern Fried Okra with Jalapeno Yogurt Sauce
- Mix yogurt, jalapeno, lime juice and cilantro in non reactive bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Trim okra by cutting away and discarding tips and stems. Cut in 1/2 inch thick slices. Soak in buttermilk for 30 minutes. Keep chilled.
- Combine cornmeal, flour and Cajun seasoning in large ziploc bag.
- Working in small batches remove okra from buttermilk with slotted spoon. Add okra to ziploc bag and shake to coat.
- Pour oil in dutch oven or heavy pan to a depth of 1 inch. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Using the tongs remove the okra from the bag and add to the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on the bottom then flip and fry until the other side is golden brown; approximately 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm with jalapeno yogurt sauce.