Southern Fried Cabbage
How to Make Southern Fried Cabbage
- Fry your (6)bacon slices; while bacon frys, core your cabbage and chop onions and cabbage. Remove bacon from pan and sit aside on paper towel to drain.
- add chopped onions to bacon drippings in skillet and saute'. Add your chopped cabbage and stir up well coating with onions and bacon drippings. Place lid on cabbage and reduce heat to simmer.
- chop (2)jalapenos (you may use more or less and you have the option of seeding before chopping). Add your jalapenos to cabbage mixture in skillet, crumble your bacon that was set aside earlier and add to skillet then salt and pepper to taste (I use a lot of pepper at this point-everything is covered)stir together and recover with lid.
- Your cabbage does not need any water added to skillet and it will cook down so don't be alarmed if your skillet looks super full. You only need to cook this until tender...you don't want to cook all the nutrients out. Don't forget to stir this well, you don't want any cabbage or onion pieces getting burned left on bottom.
- Best served hot, but left overs the next day are delicious as well...just a bit warmer as they have sat together overnight! Enjoy, this is a wonderful side dish to just about any meal, but my favorite is meatloaf and brisket!